Our school has been educating whole generations of young students in Brescia for more than 150 years. It was founded in 1860 and later relocated to its current premises in 1878. The school was named after the female poet Veronica Gambara in 1892.
In 2010, after several educational reforms, it opened three branches of studies: scienze umane, focused on human studies, linguistico, focused on foreign languages and cultural learning, and musicale, based on music education.
Our Great Hall
The Great Hall is situated in the vestibule of the former church of the Holy Spirit. In 1700, the church was part of a Benedictine monastery complex.
In addition to the Church of Peace in Brescia, the Bolognese artists Giovanni Zanardi and Francesco Monti were commissioned for the decorations in the Church of the Holy Spirit.
In 1741 the Great Hall was completely redecorated with iconography representing the founding saints of the Benedictine Order (Saint Benedict and Saint Scholastica). It also portrays the act of Conversion and the benefits of Holy Communion, mirrored by the Virtues.
The Roman Domus
The Roman domus is one of the most significant examples of Roman architecture in Northern Italy.
It dates back to the 1st century AD, an architecturally prosperous time in Brescia. It was accidentally discovered in 1921 during construction and expansion of the school. Studies of the Roman domus continued till the 70s.
Currently, some areas are being restored, but two mosaic floors, related to a winter triclinium and a tablinum (a room where the house owners could study and relax), are viewable today.
The two floors portray geometric mosaics with star-shaped, checkered, and rectangular patterns. The largest ones depict a recurrent matte black-and-white motif, which imitates the more expensive marble examples in public buildings.
The chromatic contrast and interplay between white and black is highly refined.
Veronica Gambara was born to a noble family in Pratalboino (now called Pralboino), a village near Brescia, in 1485.
She was one of the most famous female poets of the 1500s. She studied Latin, Greek, Theology, Humanities, as well as Music, thanks to her friendship with Isabella d'Este. Her poetry followed the style of Petrarch.
She married Gilberto X, Lord of Correggio, and they later had two sons. After her husband's death in 1518, she began dressing in all black and had Dido’s oath of allegiance engraved on her door in honour of her husband. From then on, she became directly involved in the administration of Correggio and showed her great ability in education regarding her two sons and their careers, by cultivating notable friendships with the likes of Charles V, who was her guest on 23rd March 1530.
She carried on writing poetry, at first focussing on love topics, and later on religious themes.
She died on 13th June 1550.
Veronica is recognised as the founder of women’s poetry in 1500.
Her poems express inner emotions and deal with topics of love, life events, famous figures and incidents, contemplation of nature and religious subjects.
Notably, she also kept close correspondence with the most renowned men of letters of the time, like Bembo, Ariosto, Trissino and Bandello.